Sunday, February 06, 2011

The Destroyer of Worlds Cometh ...

This is my boy!!!!!!
So my wife is pregnant with our first child. From the moment I found out I was excited. My only thought was "Holy crap I am going to be a Dad!!!". That was about 6 months ago and now I can feel my baby boy kicking in my wife which has made this experience all too real. My only concerns right now are of money and resources. Money will be tight and we don't have all the stuff a baby needs to be health and happy. We will be purchasing many items over the next few months ( a stroller, clothes, etc.) and friends and family seem to be eager to make donations to the Baby South Fund. I am confident we will make it but only time will tell.

What I am most worried about is that it has been around 6 and a half months and I have yet to freak out. At what point to I sit down and realize that in about 3 months I will have a little boy looking up at me relying on me for every need. His name will be Jake and he will look up and me and think "Hey Dad ... now what?". What will I say? How will I answer the call to care for this child? Probably in the way I deal with most problems: I will make a list (be it mental or on paper) and figure out the best course of action. I hope that I have my moment of panic because I think that it is necessary to put this monumental event in my life into perspective. That and I want to get it out of the way so I don't go nuts when the doctor or nurse hands me my little boy.

The best part of all this lack of freaking out is that my wife is keeping a level head about all this. She is getting huge, she is uncomfortable, and she is tired but she seems excited to meet her boy. If she has had or has yet to have her moment of panic I don't know but she will be ready for this child and I will likely just do as I am told because you don't mess with Mom when it comes to her boy.

No comments: