Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why Church is Tough for Me

I go to church every week because I know it is good for Me. I listen to the speakers and try to understand their point of view or find their purpose speaking. Sometimes it is very difficult because the person speaking is so focused on filling the time that they never work to communicate with the congregation. They are talking around a subject without getting to any real point and worry more about taking or leaving too much time. This may be why so many people are nervous about public speaking besides that awkward feeling of a congregation starring at you. Without a plan when speaking the whole exercise is a waste of time.

People are assigned a topic and go to the same source material (church website, magazines, or the same 5 scriptures that are alway read when the topic comes up) instead of using those sources to compliment personal experiences and opinion. Sometimes people stand up and read entire articles instead or summarizing the piece and explain why it is important to them.

On the other hand people also stand there and recite exactly what a good Mormon would say instead of speaking from the heart. It is easy to tell those who believe what they are saying verses those who are spouting the company line. Public speaking is tough and can be terrifying but I choose to believe that the individual is selected because of what they bring rather than trying to fill time during sacrament meeting.

I need to work harder to find something to take away from every meeting I am in. I stand to benefit from the time spend in religious pursuits. I need to stop judging others by their weaknesses and begin recognizing their strengths. I can learn from everyone around me if I listen to what they are saying and not how they are saying it.

It is a work in progress.

No comments: